1) ORIGINAL WORK ONLY. We want to hear what you have to say. Reading the work of any other writer is not permissible.
2) NO PROPS; i.e. no musical instruments, costumes etc. Just you, your words and a microphone. Memorization is encouraged but not necessary - you may read your work off the page.
3) THREE MINUTE TIME LIMIT. Poems should be 3 minutes long, or less. You will be timed. There is a 10 second grace period, but after 3 minutes and 10 seconds, points will be deducted from your score based on the amount of time you go over the limit. Remember to time your pieces when you practice.
4) NO REPEATS. You cannot perform the same poem twice in one Slam season, with the exception of the Finals in May. If you have made it to the Finals, you may then choose to repeat a poem that you performed earlier in the season.
5) HAVE FUN! The point is not the points, the point is the poetry!